May 14, 2022
Posted: October 21, 2021 3:37 pm
Apples are very nutritious fruits with impressive health benefits. They contain high fiber content, which aids in digestion. Also, the soluble fiber lowers cholesterol levels which minimize the risk of heart disease. This fruit is also an antioxidant, supports healthy weight loss, and boosts the immune system.
Despite the benefits, eating apples the same way day in day out can lead to boredom. Luckily, you can use apples to make a wide range of dishes, from desserts to snacks and salads. Apples make a great addition to most meals, and they pair so well with most spices. Make the most out of your apples with the following recipes.
One simple dessert you can make with apples is apple pie. The true beauty of the pie lies in the interaction between the crust and the filling. Ingredients for Eight Servings:
Fillings ½ cup brown sugar
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
½ cup sugar white sugar
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
One tablespoon unsalted butter
One tablespoon lemon juice
Three tablespoons all-purpose flour
Six cups of thinly peeled apples
One egg white
One tsp ground cinnamon
1. Put flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl, then rub the butter using your hands into the dry ingredients. Continue with this procedure until you get even tiny particles. Beat the egg white lightly and add it into the mixture. If the dough is still dry, add water a tablespoon at a time until you moisten all the flour.
2. Cut the dough into halves, shape it into flattened rounds, wrap it in a plastic bag, and refrigerate it for at least one hour until the dough become firm and pliable.
3. Peel the apples, core them, and chop them into wedges. Put the apples in a large bowl with apple cider vinegar or lemon juice to prevent them from turning brown.
4. Preheat your oven to 176 degrees Celsius.
5. Into another bowl, put flour, cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, and ginger. Sprinkle this mixture over the apples until you fully coat them.
6. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and roll it out into a disk on a dusted surface. Gently put the dough on a pie plate press it down firmly against the bottom and side. Trim the dough to make it even with the plate’s rim, then place it over the fillings. Roll the remaining part of the dough, place it over the stuffing and trim the edges.
7. Cut slips or make some shapes on the top dough to let out steam. Whisk the egg white until foamy, then brush it over the dough, and you can sprinkle some sugar.
8. Bake the apple pie for about 45 to 50 minutes until you achieve a golden crust. Cool it on a rack before serving.
Making an apple cake is another creative way you can enjoy this delicious fruit. You will need about 20 minutes of preparation time and 30 more minutes to cook. Ingredients, Yield Serves Eight:
1¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup vegetable oil
⅓ cup brown sugar
⅔ white sugar
One tsp ground cinnamon
½ cup Greek yogurt
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
One tbsp butter
One cup of chopped apples
One teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Grease your baking tin and preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Whisk the eggs, white sugar, vanilla, oil, and yogurt in a bowl either by hand or electric whisk until they form a smooth mixture.
3. Put flour, apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, and soda in another container, and stir them briefly.
4. Pour the whisked mixture into the container with the dry ingredients and mix until well blended.
5. For the topping, combine cinnamon, brown sugar, and butter, whip them together, then sprinkle this mixture over the cake batter.
6. Pour the mixture into a greased tin, and bake for about 30 to 45 minutes. Allow the cake to cool for about 15 minutes, slice, and serve.
If your family loves sweet treats, make them apple fritter rings, an apple version of the onion rings. Ingredients for Six Servings:
One cup all-purpose wheat flour
Two tablespoon sugar
2/3 cup milk
¼ tsp salt
One large egg
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1 ½ cup vegetable oil
¼ tsp baking powder
1. Put together flour, cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl. In another container, whisk egg and milk, pour the mixture to the dry ingredient, and mix until well combined.
2. Slice the apples into rings and remove the center part using a cookie cutter. Pour the oil into a pan on medium heat. Put a kitchen towel over a baking sheet and put it aside.
3. When the oil reaches 350 degrees, dip each apple ring into the batter, shake off the excess and slowly dip it into the oil. You can cook a few rings together but avoid overcrowding the pan. When the apple rings turn golden brown, flip them to cook the other side.
4. Once each side attains a crispy golden brown color, remove the rings from the oil drain them on the paper towel. Repeat this procedure for all the apple rings.
5. Mix sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle over the apple fritter rings and serve when warm with caramel sauce.
Adding raw apples will improve the fiber content and add antioxidants to your salad. Try out the following healthy vegetarian and gluten-free salad recipe. Ingredients:
One white or purple cabbage
Three tbsp apple cider vinegar
Two pinches of salt
Three tablespoon honey
1/3 cup olive oil
½ cup parmesan cheese
½ cup walnuts
1. Shred the cabbage into fine strips, chop the green onion, and put them in a bowl.
2. Core and slice the apples into thin pieces. If you are preparing this salad way ahead of mealtime, don’t chop the apples until the very last minute to prevent them from turning brown. Alternatively, you can dip them in lemon juice.
3. Whisk olive oil, salt, pepper, vinegar, and honey for the dressing, then drizzle over the salad and toss well until evenly mixed.
4. Grate the cheese, and use it to top the salad together with coarsely chopped walnuts. Cover the salad and put it in the fridge for about an hour before serving.
If you are a fries fanatic, you may want to try out apple fries. This is a healthier alternative that you can consider whenever you crave a sweet dessert. Ingredients for Eight Servings:
1/8 cup cinnamon
½ cup corn starch
One cup buttermilk
One cup sugar
1. Put the oil in a Sautee pan and heat it over medium heat.
2. Wash, core, and slice the apples into fries-shaped pieces. Cut equal sizes of the apple pieces to ensure that they cook evenly. Place the apple pieces in buttermilk to prevent browning.
3. Toss the apples into corn starch until well coated and shake off the excess. In another container, combine cinnamon and sugar and put them aside.
4. Once the oil heats up, put small batches of the apple slices and let them cook for about two to three minutes. Fry the apples on both sides until they turn light brown. Remove the fries from the oil ad drain, off the excess oil on a kitchen towel oil. Keep frying until you cook all the apples.
5. Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture over the fries after they drain, and serve immediately with a sauce of your choice.
Apples can transform your oatmeal into something more unique. The tender apple chunks, warm cinnamon, and baked oatmeal will make a delicious breakfast for your family. Ingredients Yielding Eight Servings:
Three cups rolled oats
One tsp baking powder
Two cups almond milk
½ cup raisins
Two tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp salt
Two medium-sized apples
1/3 cup brown sugar
Two tablespoon butter or coconut oil
One tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1. Preheat your oven to about 176 degrees Celsius or 350 °F and grease your baking tin.
2. Mix oats, baking powder, cinnamon, almonds, nutmeg, salt, and brown sugar in a container. Get another bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and melted oil, pour the mixture over the dry ingredients and stir.
3. Arrange finely chopped apples at the bottom of the baking tray. Pour the oatmeal mixture on top and sprinkle raisins over it.
4. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the center sets. Let it cool for about ten minutes. Serve this with milk or yogurt if you please.
Spice up your usual breakfast with this delicious apple cinnamon pancakes recipe. Ingredients for Six Servings:
Two cups all-purpose flour
Two cups milk
Two tablespoon honey
One teaspoon ground cinnamon
Two teaspoon baking powder
One medium apple
½ teaspoon salt
One tablespoon oil
1. Whisk eggs, oil, honey, and milk, then mix flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder in a separate container. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix them evenly.
2. Fold in the finely chopped apples into the mixture.
3. Oil a frying pan lightly, put it over medium heat, and pour a spoon of the batter into the pan. Let it cook until bubbles begin to form at the top. Turn the pancake to brown evenly on both sides. Repeat this process to cook all the remaining batter.
4. You can serve the pancakes with honey or maple syrup.
The Bottom Line
Try out most of the above recipes to add variety to your meals. For those who enjoy eating the fruit raw, you can make a salad. If you are allergic to apples, cooking the fruit destroys the allergen.
Explore Games and Apps
May 14, 2022
May 12, 2022