June 30, 2023
Posted: June 21, 2023 2:59 pm
July 4th is the unofficial start of summer and the start of the 4th of July holiday. For many, it signifies a time for fun and family. However, it also represents the beginning of an Independence Day recovery from a busy summer and a chance to enjoy your favorite foods in moderation.
You can make many healthful July 4th recipes. Here are some great recipes that will help you celebrate in style with healthy food this July 4th week.
This recipe is a great way to get some protein into your diet without sacrificing flavor or making you feel like you’re at an all-you-can-eat buffet.
• Four kiwis, peeled and sliced
• 1/2 cup honey
• 1/3 cup water
• 1/4 cup chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
• Eight chicken breasts
1. Peel and slice kiwi.
2. Place kiwis in a bowl with a bit of water so they can sit while you cook.
3. Arrange sliced kiwis on skewers in alternating directions (like an L shape).
4. Lightly season chicken with salt and pepper and then grill for about 10 minutes, occasionally turning until cooked through and no longer pink inside the meat for about 20 minutes for four pieces of chicken per skewer.
5. While the chicken grins, combine honey and chipotle sauce in a small saucepan over low heat until heated for about 5 minutes.
6. Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the grill and rest for at least 10 minutes before cutting it into 1-inch cubes (so you don’t lose any juices).
7. Carefully remove skewers from kiwis; drizzle honey-chipotle glaze over each skewer and serve immediately.
A star-spangled parfait is a delicious dessert that takes only 2 minutes to make.
• 6 ounces of cream cheese, softened
• 1/2 cup of sugar
• One teaspoon of vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk
• 12 to 14 strawberries, sliced in half lengthwise
• Three tablespoons of flaked coconut
1. In a large bowl, combine the gelatin and cold water. Set aside to soften.
2. Place the cream cheese in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar and beat well until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
3. Add the vanilla and beat until incorporated.
4. Beat at medium-low speed for 1 minute to allow the gelatin to absorb some of its liquid by mixing it into your mixture at low rates for 5 minutes or so until fully dissolved (it will get very thick).
5. Beat on medium-low speed for 5 minutes or so until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed to ensure everything gets mixed well (it will get very thick at this point).
6. Add half of your whipped cream and beat well until incorporated before adding another batch of whipped cream and beating well before adding them all together; repeat with remaining whipped cream.
This salad is packed with fresh ingredients but it’s also packed with a healthy dose of pesto flavor. If you like it spicy, add some red pepper flakes.
• 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
• Two tablespoons of lemon juice
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• One clove of garlic, minced
• 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Toss the basil, lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic in a large bowl and set aside.
3. Add the lemon zest and salt to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped (about 30 seconds).
4. Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor and pulse until combined but still chunky for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to melt.
Grilled Buttermilk Chicken is an easy meal to make for your family and friends. The chicken is prepared with a marinade that flavors it well and is grilled to perfection.
• Two boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 2 cups flour
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
2. Coat the chicken with a generous amount of olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and paprika.
3. Grill until the chicken is cooked, about 5 minutes per side.
4. Drizzle the top of the chicken with honey before serving.
Patriotic Pops are a delicious way to celebrate your country’s independence. This recipe is easy to follow, so that you can make it after work or in the evening.
• 4 cups of milk (2% or skim)
• 1 cup of sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon of salt
• 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon of lemon extract
• Three eggs
1. Heat the milk. To do this, pour it into a saucepan and then place it on a stove over medium heat.
2. Stir occasionally until the temperature reaches at least 175 degrees F. This will take about 15 minutes.
3. When you see that the milk has reached this temperature, remove it and let it cool down (this can take anywhere between 10 minutes to an hour).
4. Once your milk is cooled down, add all other ingredients except the eggs. Stir everything together until well mixed with no lumps remaining.
5. Add in eggs one at a time until everything is smooth and creamy. Pour into mason jars or any container that you want for storage purposes.
Garbanzo beans are a staple in the Mediterranean diet. They’re perfect for stuffing into peppers because they’re high in fiber and protein, making them filling. In addition, the combination of herbs and spices with the garbanzo beans helps to bring out the flavors of the peppers and give them an added dimension.
• Garbanzo beans (1 cup cooked)
• Green peppers (2)
• Cilantro (a handful, chopped)
• Salsa (1 tbsp)
1. Drain water from garbanzos and place them in a food processor. Add green peppers and cilantro, then pulse until desired consistency is achieved. Set aside.
2. Cut tops off of peppers and remove seeds/pulp inside.
3. Stuff each pepper with 1 tbsp of garbanzo mixture using a wooden spoon or your hands, then place on a baking sheet.
4. Cover each stuffed pepper with salsa and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until peppers are soft.
Spicy Lemon Chicken Kabobs are a perfect meal for the whole family. The kabobs are made with boneless, skinless chicken thighs, marinated in a delicious lemon-flavored sauce, and then skewered on skewers. You can cook them right on the grill, or if you’re more of a stovetop person, you can also cook them in the oven.
• 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• Three cloves of garlic, minced
• Two tablespoons of olive oil
• Two teaspoons of fresh thyme leaves, chopped
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• Juice of 1 lemon
• Three tablespoons of fresh parsley chopped fine
• Two teaspoons paprika
• 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1. Cut chicken breast into cubes and place it in a bowl.
2. Add salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
3. Pour olive oil over the chicken cubes and mix them until coated with oil.
4. Place on skewers and grill for about 15 minutes on each side until cooked.
5. Serve with lemon juice squeezed over the top for extra flavor.
Lemon Garlic Mushrooms are a great way to add some zest to your dinner. The lemon juice gives them a tangy flavor, while the garlic adds a bit of heat.
• Two tablespoons of olive oil
• 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced or diced
• One clove of garlic, minced
• Zest of 1 lemon
1. Clean and Slice the Mushrooms
2. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan, add sliced mushrooms and saute for 5-7 minutes on high heat until golden brown.
3. Add 1 tsp of minced garlic and saute for another minute or two until garlic turns golden brown.
4. Add 2 tsp of lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste.
5. Stir well and cook until all the liquid evaporates off the mushrooms, about 5 minutes.
Chili Steak & Peppers is a simple dish made with tender, marinated steak and peppers, topped with a hearty layer of cheese, and served over rice. It’s an excellent meal for any day of the week, but especially perfect when you have people over for a barbecue.
• 1 lb ground beef (or turkey or chicken)
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp pepper
• Three cloves of garlic, minced
• One small onion, diced (about 2 cups)
• Two jalapenos, diced
• One head of broccoli florets (or 1/2 cup frozen broccoli florets)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13 inch baking dish with foil or parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, combine ground beef with all ingredients except peppers and mix well until thoroughly combined.
3. Roast for about 20 minutes until tender but not browned at all edges, then set aside on paper towels to drain any excess oil from them.
4. Add peppers to the pan with the meat mixture after mixing everything so as not to overcook them later in the cooking process.
5. Fold everything together thoroughly by transferring some of each ingredient onto their separate plates.
This is a delicious, light dessert perfect for any time of year. The mango glace is made from fresh mangoes and pineapple juice, while the pomegranate salsa adds a fruity kick to this dish.
• One mango
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup water
• 4 cups fresh pineapple chunks (about 8 ounces)
• 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds (about 2 ounces)
• Two tablespoons of fresh mint leaves
1. Peel and slice the mangos into thin circles. If using canned pineapple, drain and pat dry. Cut into small chunks. Set aside.
2. Combine cumin, chili powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Process mango slices until smooth, then add pomegranate seeds if using and pulse until combined, but the chunky texture remains.
4. Add spice mixture and pulse until combined. Serve over ice in chilled glasses.
In addition to making food fun, we should also be mindful of what we’re serving up for our family and friends. Of course, better health is an excellent reason to enjoy the holiday, and these recipes have covered you.
June 13, 2023
May 10, 2023